> > Hm, is the mysql-client library the same as the mysql-server?
>
> Yes.

Aight...

> > And does mysql --host=127.0.0.1 --user=someone -p somedb work (or it's
> > actual IP-address, forcing the TCP/IP connect instead of possible
> > sockets) ?
>
> This is really strange - with -h127.0.0.1 I get the same error:
> ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'someone'@'localhost'
> (using password: YES)
>
> However with -h192.168.1.102 everything works as expected, although I
> used 'someone'@'%' everywhere.
> Does '%' not include local connections / unix domain sockets?

Hm, is a configuration file loaded? A ~/.my.cnf or something? And.... is there
socket defined there?

See also http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/option-files.html, and check
any of the mentioned files for 'socket' definitions:

File Name       Purpose
/etc/my.cnf                 Global options
/etc/mysql/my.cnf           Global options (as of MySQL 5.1.15)
SYSCONFDIR/my.cnf           Global options
$MYSQL_HOME/my.cnf   Server-specific options
defaults-extra-file         The file specified with --defaults-extra-file=path,
if
any
~/.my.cnf                           User-specific options
--
Rik Wasmus