Hi Shawn,

I understand the logic behind seperating local and remote users,
postgresql does the same thing in its pg_hba.conf file.
However, what I don't understand is the way this turned out to be such
a huge problem (for me), as it worked already with MySQL-5.1 a few
years ago. I've worked with other DBMs a bit as well, so I am not an
absolute noob.

To be honest I am a bit troubled with your explanation. If the % does
not include "localhost", why is it now possible to me to login as
"someone"@"%" after I have deleted that anonymous user claudio
mentioned (thanks again!).
Furthermore, why does mysql print "access denied for
someone@localhost" even when I specify -h127.0.0.1?

Thanks a lot for your response, Clemens