Did the upgrade actually change the Engine on _existing_ tables?
I thought the setting in my.cnf only applied to _new_ tables that do _not_ have
an engine explicitly specified.

True, it is not totally safe to blindly change Engines; there can be
performance 'surprises'.  This document outlines many of them:
   http://mysql.rjweb.org/doc.php/myisam2innodb

In the long run there are advantages in using InnoDB instead of MyISAM.  I
suggest you put the change on your roadmap.

The new default came with MySQL 5.5 (IIRC); not with Enterprise specifically.