On 04/27/2012 03:26 PM, Shawn Green wrote:
I frequently need to have multiple versions ready to operate on my
machine at any time. I solved the configuration file problems by only
setting them up in the basedir of the installed version.

For those special occasions when I need to configure multiple copies of
the same version, I create a separate set of --datadir folders and craft
separate configuration files for both. I start mysqld using the
--defaults-file option and point that at the special file for each
instance.

As a matter of convenience, if you need to constantly run with multiple
instances on the same host and if any one of those may need to be using
a different version than the others, then the utility mysqld_multi may
be what you need to be looking at. Each instance you manage by the
script can have their own separate set of settings all stored in the
same, common, configuration file. Check it out:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/mysqld-multi.html

Hi Shawn,

thanks for pointing to that. So we have a possibility to define different options for different server instances using mysqld_multi.

My proposal allows to have something similar for clients as well (without need to specify any command-line argument), or in cases when we want to define the same options to more servers, according to their version.

It's probably nothing we cannot do now. But it could be a nice option, much more cleaner in some environments.

Cheers,

Honza