Am 22.05.2012 13:40, schrieb Johan De Meersman:
> [...]

95% of mysqld-installations have no problem with innodb_file_per_table
so DEFAULTS should not be for 5%

and as said in another reply to this thread you
need "innodb_file_per_table" for compression and
no, most servers these days are NOT cpu-bound

most are IO-bound especially in enterprise environments
with shared storage (SAN)

> And yes, it is problematic for beginners, but so is having beginners
> manage production sites, isn't it?

not only for beginners

very few people expecting that a datastorage is only growing and growing
with no painless way to release all the wasted space if you make tests
with real big data and drop them

this has nothing to do with "enterprise" or "beginners"

it is a surprising behavior and defaults should minimize surprises