Am 22.05.2012 13:59, schrieb Johan De Meersman:
> [...]

many systems are not CPU-bound nor IO-bound because they
are well designed for their load

> However, given the need for file-per-table to benefit from compression
> I admit that it might make sense to change the default now.

yes, one reason more

> Would you say compression should be enabled by default, too?

no because with sane defaults (file_per_table) you can do
this with one command, with the current defaults only
with many work and downtime to switch

> If you're aiming at diskbound systems, I'd think that it might make sense, too

no, defaults should be as flexible as possible and not
optimized for special workloads

>> it is a surprising behavior and defaults should minimize surprises
>
> Changing the default is a surprise, no? :-)

no problem in a minor update
5.5.0 was a good moment
5.6.0 is the next good one

> Also, everything is a surprise if you don't read the fine manual

please do not tell us that you have seen any single option
of any software you are using BEFORE beause your systems
would still be in theoretical stages

a default causing the user to dump out all his data, switch
it and pray while re-import is running and system is down
is a worst-case default