> From: Claudio Nanni <claudio.na...@gmail.com>
>
> No, as already explained, it is not possible, Innodb datafiles *never* shrink.

That's been the common wisdom for a long time.

However, this just popped up on my RSS reader. I haven't even looked at it, let
alone tried it.

I'm interested in what the experts think...

"Getting rid of huge ibdata file, no dump required: You have been told (guilty
as charged), that the only way to get rid of the huge InnoDB tablespace file
(commonly named ibdata1), when moving to innodb_file_per_table, is to do a
logical dump of your data, completely erase everything, then import the dump."

http://code.openark.org/blog/mysql/getting-rid-of-huge-ibdata-file-no-dump-required

Four multinational companies control over seventy percent of fluid milk sales
in the U.S... These giants have grown through debt-fueld acquisitions and
mergers and by keeping payments to dairy farmers as low as possible. -- Ron
Schmid