Okay, my mistake. I should write precisely when communicating with precise
people. :-)

What I meant was, dumping and importing is the "common knowledge" way of
"virtually" shrinking innodb files.

So, now that I've conceded the meta-argument, what do you think of the linked
procedure for reducing innodb files?

On 22 May 12, at 06:40, Claudio Nanni wrote:

> Jan,
>
> that's not common wisdom, Innodb datafiles ***never*** shrink,
> that in the blog from 22th of May is a workaround, one of the many.
> If you ask my my favourite is to use a stand by instance and work on that.
>
> Claudio
>
> 2012/5/22 Jan Steinman <j...@bytesmiths.com>
> > From: Claudio Nanni <claudio.na...@gmail.com>
> >
> > No, as already explained, it is not possible, Innodb datafiles *never*
> > shrink.
>
> That's been the common wisdom for a long time.
>
> However, this just popped up on my RSS reader. I haven't even looked at it,
> let alone tried it.
>
> I'm interested in what the experts think...
>
> "Getting rid of huge ibdata file, no dump required: You have been told
> (guilty as charged), that the only way to get rid of the huge InnoDB
> tablespace file (commonly named ibdata1), when moving to
> innodb_file_per_table, is to do a logical dump of your data, completely erase
> everything, then import the dump."
>
> http://code.openark.org/blog/mysql/getting-rid-of-huge-ibdata-file-no-dump-required
>
> ----------------
> Four multinational companies control over seventy percent of fluid milk sales
> in the U.S... These giants have grown through debt-fueld acquisitions and
> mergers and by keeping payments to dairy farmers as low as possible. -- Ron
> Schmid
> :::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality Co-op ::::
>

> --
>

> --
> Claudio

No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another good counsel, and no man
so wise that he may not easily err if he takes no other counsel than his own.
He that is taught only by himself has a fool for a master. -- Ben Johnson