On 10/30/2012 12:34 PM, Tim Johnson wrote:
... snip ...

   Clearly, I have failed to pose my question clearly, because the
   again:

   mysqldump does not recognize the drupal databases!
     Example :
       linus:prj tim$ mysqldump event -hlocalhost -utim
       -pXXXXXX > event.sql
       mysqldump: Got error: 1049: Unknown database 'event' when
       selecting the database
... snip ...

Your syntax is inverted. Put the name of the database at the end.

mysqldump -hlocalhost -utim -pXXXXXX event> event.sql

If you fail to do so, you would login as the 'anonymous user' if it is still enabled on that machine and that account typically has zero privileges.

Check the command-line syntax here:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/mysqldump.html

--
Shawn Green