Am 01.11.2012 01:54, schrieb Tim Johnson:
> * Reindl Harald <h.rei...@thelounge.net> [121031 08:12]:
>> you MUST NOT use "localhost" if you want to connect to
>> a different mysqld-port because "localhost" is unix-socket
>>
>> mysql -h 127.0.0.1 --port=3307 -u <username> -p
>   I get "access denied" when I do that.
>   thanks

don't get me wrong - but do you have any clue about
what you are doing?

replace <username> with the username drupal is using
enter the password drupal is using

you got MANY options in thsi thread

* let point your default mysqld-datadir to the one
  the drupal setup used and export the data, after
  that restore /etc/my.cnf as it is now

* stop ANY mysqld instance and copy the db-folder
  to your used instance

* connect to the instance as asid with 127.0.0.1

if you are not able or/and willing to do any of these
3 options i am really out of hope that you should
do whatever you believe is your job by missing
basic understanding