(Thanks for the comment, spameden.)
Well, I was going to drop the thread, but he baited me.  I _do_ know something
about web serving...

Should I recount the number of times I have traced a database meltdown back to
MaxClients being too big?  They are _ugly_ meltdowns -- hundreds of
point-queries stumbling over themselves, flooding the slowlog with queries that
should never take more than milliseconds.  More and more db requests come in,
non finishing, thereby stalling the web server threads, etc.

Another point to make -- once a web server (Apache or...) has saturated the CPU
(or other shared resource), there is really no advantage, only disadvantage, in
starting more web pages.  The will simply contend for the saturated resource,
thereby slowing down _all_ threads.  It is better (at this point) to queue up
(or drop) further requests, thereby giving the CPU a chance to actually finish
something.

Yet another point...  If
   [ SUM(MaxClients) over the web servers you have ] >
   [ SUM(max_connections) over the Slaves ],
then you are threatening to have mysql refuse connections; this probably leads
to broken web pages, maybe even 404s or 500s.  Granted, you have (at least) 3
choices: decrease MaxClients, increase max_connections, or add more Slaves.  If
mysql has most of max_connections _actively_ running querieds, then it is
probably stumbling badly, so I vote against increasing that.  Adding a Slave
cannot be done 'instantly'.  That leaves decreasing MaxClients, which is quick
and easy.  Furthermore, the SE (in one of the meltdowns) killed Apache; this
led to a prompt clear up of all the issues -- poor web response, mysql melting
down, etc.

Sometimes less is better!