Steven,

Am 21.06.2013 13:35, schrieb Steven Siebert:

If the TCP connection is lost...is the effectively session over and
can not be re-established on another socket?

Yes.

In a mysql client sense, I
would need to re-establish a connection and set my session variables again
rather than just reconnect using the session ID from the "dropped"
connection?

Yes. There is no way for a client to specify a "desired" session ID. The session ID is only used once - the server notifies the client of the ID used in the initial handshake upon connection establishment, even before authentication is attempted. Take a look at the docs for protocol details:

<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/internals/en/connection-phase.html#plain-handshake>

I apologize about these basic mysql-mechanics questions - I need to satisfy
our auditors, so I need to understand =)

The auditors should know their trade and not simply try pressing requirements they've read about in an IT manager magazine.

Denis