Hi Brad,

> We actually only have about 60 tables in that database. I've tried increasing
> the cache and open tables limits and get the same behaviour.

Hmm..  Shawn’s guesses are probably better than mine then.

> A few other tests I've tried:
>
> 1. Stand up a new machine, dump just the schema in to it, and run the test.
> Performs flawlessly, so it's probably just this machine/snapshot.
> 2. Stand up a snapshot of my existing machine, truncate the tables, optimize
> the truncated tables, and run the test. I get the bad behavior!
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong but it'd appear that there's just something
> fundamentally broken this machines' InnoDB ibdata file/data dictionary? All
> the contention comes out of the dictionary, but I'd expect the optimize to
> re-write the dictionary entries…

InnoDB data dictionary is always stored in ibdata1 + there is MySQL data
dictionary stored in .frm files.  I can’t think of a specific reason why
accessing it could be slower until after a dump and restore.

I believe that Performance Schema could be helpful here.  This is a view that
will work with 5.5:
https://github.com/MarkLeith/dbahelper/blob/master/views/p_s/io_global_by_wait_by_bytes.sql

(PS is not enabled by default in 5.5, but file IO is instrumented.. you just
need to turn it on.)

- Morgan