On 22-Jun-01, Wouter de Jong said something totally profound about RAID advice :> that
made me ponder...

WdJ> We are planning to use RAID for backing-up MySQL-data. Is it adviced that
WdJ> we put the OS on the RAID-array too, or just the data ?
WdJ>
WdJ> Let's say your OS crashes (Linux...bad libraries for example, that are
WdJ> not resolvable, for example :>), then you'll have to format all your
WdJ> disks including your data to replace the OS.
WdJ>
WdJ> Ont he other hand, if the disk that contains your OS crashes, you still
WdJ> have a lot of downtime (well, depends on backup-disk, time it occurs,
WdJ> etc).
WdJ>
WdJ> Anyone a good suggestion ? Or is it even possible to have your OS
WdJ> separate from the data, buth both mirrored (eg. 2 different raid-arrays)

We'll have a system running Solaris 8 with a RAID 1 array for the OS and
binaries, and a RAID 5 array for all data, including MySQL databases.

With the right controller, RAID is very good.  However, be warned, some
manufacturers do not totally support Solaris 8/i86.  Adaptec does not have
Solaris 8 drivers (at last check,) and AMI's (American Megatrends) driver for
their Enterprise/Elite 1500 RAID controller has driver issues with Solaris 8
as well.  After working with AMI for a month, they suddenly shrugged me off.

--
       Alan W. Rateliff, II        :     YourVillage.com
  Assistant Systems Administrator  :   2700 Apalachee Pkwy