Hi,
.
It is bad practice to do so in my eyes (and yes that is an *opinion*). When
you advice people, instruct them to take the proven route, as described in
the mysql documentation.
Second, mastering mysqldump should be golden standard for any DBA. Telling
someone that asks for guidance to simply copy around some files is bad
practice as you do not know the level of expertise involved.

Regards,

Harrie