----- Original Message -----
> From: "Reindl Harald" <h.rei...@thelounge.net>
> Subject: Re: MySQL Platform Migration
>
> we discussed this multiple times here

True; but new people on the list may not have seen that.

> when you *copy* the datadir on the target machine nobody eats your data
> on the old one away and hence you can try out how it behaves on the new
> machine without any risk

Again, true; but I can well imagine scenarios with relatively huge datadirs and
very stringent uptime requirements, so you only get the one window to take the
system down and cold-copy the datafiles. And, yes, that's what slaves are for,
but if there is no existing slave you run into the same problem again.

Circumstances vary, and asking doesn't hurt on most mailing lists :-p