----- Original Message -----
> From: "Reindl Harald" <h.rei...@thelounge.net>
> Subject: Re: MySQL Platform Migration
>
> why shouldn't it when the identical software is running?
> it's just a bunch of files used by mysql

Little/big endianness, for one, although I seem to recall, and your later mail
confirms, that that is not an issue for MySQL datafiles - and Mac has gone
Intel years ago anyway.

Some software, but again, not MySQL, also writes datafiles differently
depending on the architecture they're on. Had shenanigans some years ago simply
moving (non-mysql) datafiles between 32- and 64-bit platforms.

There's no issue in this case; but it's not always as simple as 'same software,
same binary files'.

One thing that is worth looking at, however, is users with the IP/hostname of
the old host in them - those may need to be changed if the related software is
also moved.

Also, some Linux distributions do specific setup - Debian, for one, sets up a
debian-sys-maint user that gets used for clean startup/shutdown/upgrade tasks.
Both copying over the datafiles and importing a mysqldump from the old db will
destroy that user entry, so it needs to be recreated manually afterwards. Other
distributions may or may not have their own quirks.

> as said copy it to the new machine and you are done - why do people
> these days not just try out things, look if it works and when it don't
> asking questions?

Eh. Sometimes it's comforting to get someone else's opinion before messing with
production systems you're not an expert on.