From: Pete Kuczynski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 13:19:02 -0500

>I want to prevent duplicate entries into my mysql database which holds
>invertory of all network eqpt at my site. Engineers access it thru
>netscape and the query insert is done via pdp [below].
>
>I will place the script into php, any pointers on this would be
>appreciated.

Why not make your inventory identifier field a unique index:
ie:
alter table inventory add unique itemid (itemid);

Now, whenever someone tries to create a duplicate item identifier,
MySQL will issue an error, which your script can capture.  I don't use PHP, but do use
VB through MyODBC, and this is how I catch unwanted duplicates.