My primary key field is a auto incremented index, the field I want to
make unique, or to say, prevent duplicates in, is the hostname field,
which has, hostnames of devices. Is the key word UNIQUE then?

Not all of the devices have hostnames assigned to them, like terminals,
so the hostname field is blank in many cases. If I make that field
UNIQUE, will that cause a problem, with multiple blank fields?

Thx!

Pete

Kristopher Briscoe wrote:

> What does your table definition look like?  What fields are you looking to
> make unique?  All you need to do is set one or multiple combined fields to
> UNIQUE or Primary keys.  This will prevent duplicats.  Another way would be
> to query the table for the information that is going to be inserted and see
> if you get a row returned.  If so, then let the FE know.  I would combine
> both methods for optimal assurance.
>
> On another note, I have been very interested in working with DHL.  At one
> point I was speaking with someone in your HR department, but they have seen
> departed.  I know this is odd, but if I forwared you my resume do you think
> you could pass it on to your internal recruiting staff?
>
> I am a Sr. SUN Solaris Engineer with more than 10years experience if that
> helps at all.  Good luck with your work.
>
> Kris-

Pete Kuczynski
Principal Field Engineer
DHL Airways Inc.