You could try skip grants and fix it that way.  And yes, it's in the manual.
If not, you'll probably need to run mysql_install_db again.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mihai Marinescu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2001 3:42
Subject: problems with root password - can anyone help me?

Dear friends,
I have tried to access the tables in the mysql database (the user, host
tables) so as to grant some privileges to a user and I think I accidentally
deleted an entry for root - the one that granted me access to mysql and now
I cannot get in anymore from any machine, it says "access denied for user
root@localhost using password -yes/no" . Can I still recover my privileges
somehow? Is there any way I can correct what I did wrong? Because no matter
what I do there's no way I can access MySQL. It's that I'm new to Linux and
MySQL and for some reason or another it seems I have started off on the
wrong foot :)
Hope you could help me, thanks a lot.
Mihai

Mihai Marinescu - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Webzter Romania - Imaginea ta pe Internet
http://www.webzter.ro
[EMAIL PROTECTED]