From: Gabriele Wieczorek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Mihai Marinescu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2001 2:33 PM
Subject: Re: problems with root password - can anyone help me?

> Hi,
>
> the root password for mysql is not the same as the password
> for your linux system.
>
> If you haven't set a password for mysql, you don't have any.
> So you can check e.g. with:
> mysqladmin ping
> that you have not a password
> or try
> mysqladmin -p ping
> and when he asks you: Password:
> you press return.
> In the same way you can access to mysql.
>
> Gabi
>

> On Sun, 1 Jul 2001, Mihai Marinescu wrote:
>
> > Dear friends,
> > I have tried to access the tables in the mysql database (the user, host
tables) so as to grant some privileges to a user and I think I accidentally
deleted an entry for root - the one that granted me access to mysql and now
I cannot get in anymore from any machine, it says "access denied for user
root@localhost using password -yes/no" . Can I still recover my privileges
somehow? Is there any way I can correct what I did wrong? Because no matter
what I do there's no way I can access MySQL. It's that I'm new to Linux and
MySQL and for some reason or another it seems I have started off on the
wrong foot :)