Wouldn't that depend on if the MySQL db is on the same server as the web
servers and the scripts that connect to them.  It could also depend on if
the scripts use the -h option when making a connection and if this is the
ip address (as in number) or is a resolvable name.  If it is all local, if
the grants use an ip number instead of localhost to give the needed
permissions then you might want to check that also.

I agree if you are using root to connect from web scripts etc you really
need to change this.

cheers,

noel