Hi!

btjones> I am far from a legal expert on this... but is it all that bad that
btjones> NuSphere wishes to sell a derivative work of MySQL?  Other than it competes
btjones> with MySQL AB's business of selling their own commercial deployments of the
btjones> package?  And by that I can somewhat see why NuSphere is using the phrase
btjones> "unfair business practice."

MySQL is GPL, so it's ok to sell derivate works.  The problem is
however that NuSphere has been selling derivate work but not complied
to the GPL license, which is NOT ok.

By using mysql.org they are also violating our trademark;  If we are
not defending our trademark we may loose it.

If they would have released the server and all source code as NuSphere
SQL on 'www.nusphere.com', we at MySQL AB wouldn't had any reason to
complain.

(Of course, a fork is never a good thing, but at least in the above
case it would have been legal)

<cut>

btjones> MySQL can and will survive as an open-source project.  But to compete truly
btjones> on the commercial level with companies that have PR teams and sales reps
btjones> and advertising budgets (ala Oracle or MicroSoft), commercial investment is
btjones> needed... and that's where companies like NuSphere come into play.  Or will
btjones> MySQL AB be incorporating in the U.S. and offering an IPO?

We may do an IPO in the future, but we haven't yet decided on an time table.

btjones> Of course, the final decision is left to those at MySQL AB.  And whatever
btjones> that decision, rest assured that I am behind it 100%.  I am an avid
btjones> supporter and I continually pitch the worth of all your work to colleges
btjones> all the time.     I simply wish to present the possible positive side of
btjones> this situation for consideration.

Thanks!

Regards,
Monty