Hi,

In the InnoDB section of the MySQL manual, it mentions that InnoDB can
be used with raw disks, rather than data files. I've been trying to get
this to work under Linux (RedHat 6.2), but so far without success.

I installed a new slave disk on the second IDE bus, brought up the
system and verified that the disk was available and partitionable at
/dev/hdd. Then, in /etc/my.cnf, I pointed innodb_data_home_dir and
innodb_data_file_path at /dev/hdd, with a size calculated from the
autodetected values as reported in /var/log/messages. I then started
mysql: it reported that the given size was not the same as the actual
file size for /dev/hdd, and ended. I delved into the code and ran a few
experiments: the problem appears to be that the code uses the lseek
system call to determine the file size, and this reports 0 for the
/dev/hdd device special file.

I tried using a raw device grafted onto the /dev/hdd device, but same
result.

Has anyone else tried this under Linux and, if so, have they got it to
work? (If not, do we have a route towards getting it to work?)