database table sql query

OK, here's where I've got to.

1) After fiddling about with fdisk, disk geometry and kernel boot parms,
I've managed to define a partition which
appears to lseek as exactly 1000M (this was fairly horrible: if anyone
wants to replicate this step, I'll go over the process, but just at the
moment I'm trying not to think about it!)

2) I start mysql, and get the following:

010719 15:08:17  mysqld started
Data file 0 is 1048576000 bytes
InnoDB: Log file /usr/local/var/iblogs/ib_logfile0 did not exist: new to
be created
InnoDB: Log file /usr/local/var/iblogs/ib_logfile1 did not exist: new to
be created
InnoDB: Log file /usr/local/var/iblogs/ib_logfile2 did not exist: new to
be created
InnoDB: Cannot initialize created log files because
InnoDB: data files are corrupt, or new data files were
InnoDB: created when the database was started previous
InnoDB: time but the database was not shut down
InnoDB: normally after that.
010719 15:08:32  Can't init databases
InnoDB: Setting log file /usr/local/var/iblogs/ib_logfile0 size to
52428800
InnoDB: Setting log file /usr/local/var/iblogs/ib_logfile1 size to
52428800
InnoDB: Setting log file /usr/local/var/iblogs/ib_logfile2 size to
52428800
010719 15:08:32  mysqld ended

3) I zapped the entire mysql database directory (/usr/local/var), remade
the directories, and reinitialised the mysql database (using
/usr/local/bin/mysql_install_db). I then started mysql, and got the same
result as in (2).

I guess that it's thinking the tablespace is already initialised.

Heikki, Christian, any thoughts?