Werner is correct in encouraging all to make up your own mind.
And, it is always possible that Orwellian "DoubleSpeak" is an
ingredient of these public statements and posturing.

But, a great distinction must be made here, and not tie the
idea of "DoubleSpeak" to a fear of manipulation, unless
you, the reader, allow it.  DoubleSpeak is only truly dangerous
in the Orwellian context, when there is a central authority,
and where it can truly cause a veering away from the noble
instincts of man.  We are free here, the Net cannot be captured
by a central authority (I hope), and Mr. Johnston has no power
over me by virtue of this situation.  My DoubleSpeak is just as
weak as Mr. Johnstons DoubleSpeak, is just as weak as Werner's
DoubleSpeak, because of the Net, because of things like Open Source
and its principles.

We are lucky to have this great mesh of communication, this
Samizat right under our fingertips...  We pay a price in
certain ways, like having to eat spam three meals a day.
I still consider it well worth it.

Helas, I am an optimist.

_jef

--