On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 05:57:15PM -0500, Mike<mickalo>Blezien wrote:

> >>Use the MySQL-MAX binary from mysql.com rather than building your own.
>
> thanks Jeremy, appreciate the feedback.
>
> Would I just follow the "Quick Install" for the binary. I've only
> installed MySQL with the source in the past. Can you just briefly
> touch on why the binary is better then using the source?? :)

The binary is known to be good (or at least known).  It is a static
binary built with a specific compiler, specific compiler options, and
specificly tuned libraries.  The MySQL team has put a lot of working
into getting it right so that the rest of us don't have to.

If you run into a problem using their binary, it's often easier for
them to track down what went wrong.  If you build it yourself and have
problems, they have to rule out things which may be related to how you
built the binary.

Plus, the binary is a piece of cake to install.  I use the binary
tarballs, since I'm not an RPM fan.  Just untar it and have a look at
the installation notes.

But you may (or may not) want to wait for 3.23.40 which will be out
soon, I believe.

Jeremy
--
Jeremy D. Zawodny, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Technical Yahoo - Yahoo Finance

MySQL 3.23.29: up 33 days, processed 261,910,062 queries (90/sec. avg)