"Mike<mickalo>Blezien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I need to upgrade a server running MySQL v.3.23.38 to .39
> Specs:
> RedHat/Linux 6.2 i386 512RAM
>
> The only databases currently are the default 'test' and the 'mysql' db's
no
> other db's created.

It seems you have nothing worth keeping, unless you have users and
privileges setup you don't want to have to recreate.  If that's the case
backup the database "mysql" by copying the directory or using mysqldump so
you can copy that database or load it from the dump file after installing
MySQL.

> The current variables show:
> basedir    /
> datadir   /var/lib/mysql
>
> My question is, when upgrading and to replace the current version, I
assume I
> would need to install using the paths,..correct??

Or use whatever paths you want and copy the mysql database to whatever
directory you chose.

> Also it's been  recommended to install with the Source instead of the
Binary. We
> want to enable BDB tables handlers also.

I don't know how the RPM version is configured, but you can't go wrong with
the source distro since you'll have more control over configuration options.

--
Steve Werby
President, Befriend Internet Services LLC