Regarding the upgrading posting I posted, I must install the upgrade in the same
data dir as the current version or else our customer WebHosting Manager browser
interface will not work properly when access their database's . The current data
dir install is /var/lib/mysql.

Now when you install the binary distro, you can specify where you want to
install,..correct?? I didn't notice any options settings like that are used with
the source distro install.

How do I specify where I want the binary install to go??

THX's

>>> thanks Jeremy, appreciate the feedback.
>>>
>>> Would I just follow the "Quick Install" for the binary. I've only
>>> installed MySQL with the source in the past. Can you just briefly
>>> touch on why the binary is better then using the source?? :)
>>
>>The binary is known to be good (or at least known).  It is a static
>>binary built with a specific compiler, specific compiler options, and
>>specificly tuned libraries.  The MySQL team has put a lot of working
>>into getting it right so that the rest of us don't have to.
>>
>>If you run into a problem using their binary, it's often easier for
>>them to track down what went wrong.  If you build it yourself and have
>>problems, they have to rule out things which may be related to how you
>>built the binary.
>>
>>Plus, the binary is a piece of cake to install.  I use the binary
>>tarballs, since I'm not an RPM fan.  Just untar it and have a look at
>>the installation notes.
>>
>>But you may (or may not) want to wait for 3.23.40 which will be out
>>soon, I believe.
>>
>>Jeremy

Mike(mickalo)Blezien
Thunder Rain Internet Publishing