> Since these issues are between two private companies, please take
> your discussions off this list. It is none of our business. By
> all means, tell us the result.

This discussion most certainly is our business. I would appeal to both MySQL AB and
NuShphere to keep
discussions as public as is reasonably possible. Open source development in general is
in a phase where business
interests, legitimate and otherwise, are directly affecting many pieces of software
that are critical to the overall
health of the Internet.

The more we, the users of MySQL and the like, are squeezed out of the debate the less
'open' open-source will
become. The less we show an interest in the debate the less will be the perceived need
to keep the source truly
open.

Monty and co obviously felt there was a need for the mysql list to be informed. I
strongly applaud this.
It's crucial that we encourage folks like Monty to stick to the principle that open
source software is for an open
community, even if it does occasionally mean you have to wash your laundry in public.

Lists like this are trivial to filter at the recipient's end, so for those who really
object please do that rather than
encourage that the debate be taken offline.

Mark

Mark Tiramani
FREDO Internet Services
[EMAIL PROTECTED]