The rule of normaliztation is (usually) if you have data repeated in a table,
you need another table.  So here's how *I* would do it.

A table for each: DJ's, Albums, Artists, Genres (a category table of sorts),
and Tracks.  You might even want a table for record companies, so that's not
repeated, etc.

And then get good with SQL and joins. :)  I have a database right now that
has data for a particular kind of record spread across four or five tables,
and I can pull it all in with just one query, and a really good join.

HTH.

j----- k-----

On Saturday 28 July 2001 13:57, Ben Bleything wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I have a question for all of you... I would very much appreciate your
> input.
>
> I'm building a database for a radio station.  The database must allow
> the DJ to enter what they play and when, and allow the program director
> to create weekly reports for the record labels.
>
> I'm wrestling with how to design the database.  I have already
> determined, via beginnings of normalization, that I need separate tables
> for Albums, DJs, Genres, and so forth... The problem I'm having is how
> to store the track data.  I have two ideas:
>
> First, to maintain a single table with every bit of track data there is
> (ie, title, artist, length, etc) and store this data into the albums
> table via either a bitfield (ie, binary additions, etc) or via a comma
> (or other) delimited list... ie "32897,39823,1234,29844" etc.
>
> The problem with this is that there are probably nearly 250,000 tracks
> among all of our assets...
>
> The other thought would be to have an album table that would contain
> things like the label, artist, number of tracks, etc, and another table
> that would contain the track data for that album... ie "1238_tracks".
>
> I'm rather new to all of this, so I don't know the relative
> benefits/detriments of these two options... can you give some advice?
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

Joshua Kugler, Information Services Director
Associated Students of the University of Alaska Fairbanks
[EMAIL PROTECTED], 907-474-7601