Ben Bleything wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> I have a question for all of you... I would very much appreciate your
> input.
>
> I'm building a database for a radio station.  The database must allow
> the DJ to enter what they play and when, and allow the program director
> to create weekly reports for the record labels.
>
> I'm wrestling with how to design the database.  I have already
> determined, via beginnings of normalization, that I need separate tables
> for Albums, DJs, Genres, and so forth... The problem I'm having is how
> to store the track data.  I have two ideas:
>
> First, to maintain a single table with every bit of track data there is
> (ie, title, artist, length, etc) and store this data into the albums
> table via either a bitfield (ie, binary additions, etc) or via a comma
> (or other) delimited list... ie "32897,39823,1234,29844" etc.
>
> The problem with this is that there are probably nearly 250,000 tracks
> among all of our assets...
>
> The other thought would be to have an album table that would contain
> things like the label, artist, number of tracks, etc, and another table
> that would contain the track data for that album... ie "1238_tracks".
>
> I'm rather new to all of this, so I don't know the relative
> benefits/detriments of these two options... can you give some advice?
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

Hi,

I would suggest that you use one Album table and one Track table.
Your Album table would consist of:
 - album_id
 - album_title
 - genre_id    (this is a reference to your Genre table)
 - artist (or may be artist_id if you set up a separate Artist table)
Your Track table could be:
 - track_id
 - album_id
 - track_number (from 1 to number of tracks in album)
 - track_length
 - track_title

BTW, don't be afraid to store 250000 records in Track table, this is
not big for MySQL ;)

Regards
--
Joseph Bueno