Hi All,
Well, it looks like nobody has any ideas about this.
Not quite sure what the readership is but I was hoping
someone might hae an Idea.  If I could buy you a beer
for helping I would. If anyone knows a consultant that
could answer this question ( or someone here want to
give an answer for $100 :) I can't find anything
anywhere in the books that explain why an insert would
hang.

Best
David

--- DS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a problem that came out of nowhere and seems
> only to affect inserts and only on 2 tables.
>
> The machine is a linux box w/ 2gig of memory and 2
> pentium gig procs.. Mysql 3.23  One script that
> locks
> the tables, does an insert in one query to a table
> that is 120,000 record and another which is 100,000
> records both <10 mb in size.
>
> a week or so ago, the perl script that does these
> inserts into these tables started to hang. The table
> does not get updated, all the other queries stop and
> the system load goes through the roof.
>
> We optomize the tables daily and on these tables the
> time has increased a lot. I am reading the FM and it
> says 4gig is no problem.. I am at 7mb and hanging on
> smoking machine...
>
> Any ideas where to look for problems?
>
> Thanks in Advance..
>
> David