try using "SHOW FIELDS FROM TABLE LIKE EXPR", where 'TABLE' is the
name of the name of the table, and 'EXPR' is an expression indicating what
you wish to match.

for example, to get the information about a column called 'ckey' in table
'config', you would do: "SHOW FIELDS FROM CONFIG LIKE 'CKEY'".

hope this helps.
~shawn