On Wednesday 15 August 2001 11:30, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (Aug 15), Nathanial Hendler said:
> > I have a table that holds a lot of information.  I tried to INSERT
> > something into it, and received...
> >
> > DBD::mysql::st execute failed: The table 'fancy_big_table' is full at
> > ./tom_to_mutt.pl line 156.
> >
> > The table is 4G is size.  The table's Max_data_length = 4294967295 (4G)
> >
> > I'm running the MySQL server on a FreeBSD system, and this is not a
> > file system limitation.  I am using MyISAM tables.
>
> I wonder if there is still a 4gb limit on dynamic MYISAM tables?  Is
> there a 4-byte offset used as the pointer in indexes for this table
> type?  I checked some of my databases and all the dynamic tables have
> 4294967295 as their max length, where the fixed tables vary; one has
> 115964116991.
>
> The docs do mention MAX_ROWS and AVG_ROW_LENGTH together; maybe you
> need to specify both of them for mysql to bump your table limits above
> 4gb.
>
> If that doesn't work, and you can spare the wasted space, try
> converting your table to fixed-length rows (convert all varchars to
> chars).

I had a similar thought regarding the dynamic tables, since I saw the same
numbers.  I can spare the wasted space, but the column making it dynamic is
of the type text, so I can't just make it fixed-length (right?).  Any ideas?

I'm trying "ALTER TABLE resumes MAX_ROWS = 100000000;" right now (sugggested
by ryan)  I hope that works.

thanks,
Nathan Hendler
Tucson, AZ USA