> That agreement also allows NuSphere to release MySQL
> under the GPL license forever and print and distribute the
> manual.

It doesn't seem that this is what is at stake, however.
Would you say that MySQL AB wishes Nusphere to stop
distributing the official GPL'd distribution of MySQL?
Would you say that the amount paid to MySQL AB is
the full amount agreed to in the contract?

> As far as mysql.org goes, what NuSphere would like to see is a
> non-profit organization running that site - we have been consistent
> in this desire for over a year, but it has been opposed by Monty
> and David.

That is a shame, indeed.  This doesn't seem to lead to a necessary
legal battle though.

> As far as NuSphere's contribution to MySQL, it is disappointing to
> see our efforts discounted so quickly.  At a minimum there are
> specific bug fixes, features, and language statements focused
> around transaction support in the server that are in MySQL due
> to NuSphere's efforts in cooperation with Monty.

I do not discount these efforts, and again, they don't seem to be
the issue at stake in this lawsuit.

> The Gemini component itself
> will be released via mysql.org as GPL as previously
> announced

But is not currently released that way ...

> Finally independent of the rest of this.  I have the highest respect
> for Monty and what he has done creating MySQL.  I'm certain we can
> move beyond this and make MySQL an even stronger open source project
> and I encourage everyone move to a constructive dialog.

I hope so too.  I'm surprised that launching a lawsuit is the result
of wanting to 'move beyond this' though.  As a business owner,
I understand the threats involved in these types of situations, but
even working out a situation with MySQL AB that is less advantageous
to NuSphere than before is a benefit to NuSphere as far as public
opinion goes (IMHO), since MySQL is a much more visible entity.

I agree with the other poster that NuSphere can't win the court of
public opinion, whether it wins the lawsuit or not.  Incidentally, I'm
surprised I don't see NuSphere peoples' comments on project sites
that use P___greSQL because "MySQL doesn't have transaction
support" ... it would be good PR to help them port their projects to
Gemini tables.

I had originally read up on the new table types in 3.23 and intended
to use Gemini tables because they had the best features for my
needs, but am using InnoDB and BDB tables instead because of
the GPL issue.
--
Michael T. Babcock
CTO, FibreSpeed