>> But also consider, if you don't want to ask for
>>
>> select
>> subject,subhead,subsubhead,data2,data3,see_also
>>         from npl_detail
>>
>>         where (subject like '% asia %'
>>                 AND NOT subject like '%winter%')
>>         OR
<cut>
>>         ORDER BY
>>                 subject, subhead, subsubhead desc
>> limit 0, 15
>>

> THanks for the kind reply. The above statement still
> doesn't return any result. However, if I change it to
> as follows, it will return results:

> select subject,subhead,subsubhead,data2,data3,see_also
>         from npl_detail

>         where (subject like '% asia %'
>                 AND subject NOT like '%winter%')
>         OR
<cut>
>         ORDER BY
>                 subject, subhead, subsubhead desc
> limit 0, 15

> Logically, there is no difference between this and the
> one you gave me. MySql is new to me. Does it mean any
> difference in MySQL? I am trying more changes.

Oh, I had trouble seeing the difference first. Yes, I think this
will be the reason. But I didn't see the problem and asked Sinisa
about it as such:

> select bla from foo
>         where (subject like '% asia %'
>                 AND NOT subject like '%winter%')
>         OR etc.
>
> select bla from foo
>         where (subject like '% asia %'
>                 AND subject NOT like '%winter%')
>         OR etc.
>
> The user states that these are logically equivalent - and I think
> he is correct. But the result sets are different.

Sinisa writes:

They are NOT logically equivalent !! Second one is the correct one.

First one means always make 0 out of (NOT subject like "%...%").

Second one means AND subject is not like ...

Herzlich
Werner

--
MySQL in Deutschland: Anpassung, Unterstützung, Schulung für Sie