I see... if adding "ORDER BY articleId DESC LIMIT 0, 20" causes a query to
start returning 0 rows, then that sounds like something is wrong.

Try using the REPAIR TABLE command on all your tables from inside MySQL,
e.g.:

REPAIR TABLE article;
REPAIR TABLE asubject;
REPAIR TABLE atype;
REPAIR TABLE author;
REPAIR TABLE source;
REPAIR TABLE user;

If there is corruption in the tables, that might be causing the problem.

Other than that, I am out of ideas...