On Thu, Sep 06, 2001 at 11:07:25PM -0700, Chadrick Mahaffey wrote:

[...]
> shell> cd mysql_installation_directory
> shell> ./bin/mysql_install_db
> shell> ./bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql &
>
> what does all this mean? I tried to type this in my command console changing
> / to \ and I don't understand what is happening. I get all kinds of errors.
>
> I know these are pathetic questions to most of you so please have patience
> with a Windows user...
> what is "shell>"?
> what is the "./"?
> is "mysql_installation_directory" supposed to be replaced with my
> installation dir?

These are the UNIX install instructions. Try the Windows install instructions
(section 2.1.2 in the MySQL manual).

> I realize that I'm going to be in the minority here but I have to say it.
> Open source would go much farther if they had self explanatory GUIs and had
> basic pre-setup apps that were ready for the average user to use. I program
> in Java and I feel the same about the JDK Sun produces. I use JCreator
> because it has an easy to follow GUI interface. Most open source apps I have
> attempted to use have some of the worse documentation around. The writers
> assume so much about the users. OK - call me inept, stupid, or whatever but
> I had to say it.

I can say the same things are wrong with GUI based proprietary software
for all the same reasons.  What you should instead point out is that you
have an entirely different and incompatible set of problem solving skills.

Anecdote:

For example, I tried installing Windows for the first time on my home
machine the other day and just couldn't set up a working system. I had
to answer obscure questions, hunt down an endless number of driver disks,
and when it was finally done Windows wouldn't even start up properly,
citing that it was missing numerous device drivers and that it was
running in an ugly degraded 'Safe Mode'. I poked around aimlessly for
a few hours until I gave up and installed a more user friendly OS.

I was amazed at how hard it was for me to install, considering that
I can put together Linux systems completely from scratch.

YMMV.

---
Michael Bacarella <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Technical Staff / System Development,