At 23:07 -0700 2001/09/06, Chadrick Mahaffey wrote:
>I realize that I'm going to be in the minority here but I have to say it.
>Open source would go much farther if they had self explanatory GUIs and had
>basic pre-setup apps that were ready for the average user to use. I program
>in Java and I feel the same about the JDK Sun produces. I use JCreator
>because it has an easy to follow GUI interface. Most open source apps I have
>attempted to use have some of the worse documentation around. The writers
>assume so much about the users. OK - call me inept, stupid, or whatever but
>I had to say it.
>
>Thanks,
>THE chad

Hi Chad,

I feel your pain... :>  I come from a predominately GUI environment, too. But, if
you've gotten this far, I doubt very much that you're stupid -- just inexperienced
with this type of app and these methods.

MySQL actually has very good documentation; you're just looking in the wrong area. Try
the Windows-specific installation instructions instead of the Unix ones.

Granted, working at the command-line can be daunting at first with all those cryptic
and arcane instructions, *but* it's also very powerful; you can accomplish difficult
things very quickly once you're used to it. (Definitely true in Unix, I'm unsure about
Windows.)

Both GUIs and the command-line have their place, and their strengths and weaknesses. I
wouldn't want to do without either.

I learned 'command-line stuff' on Sun Solaris and Linux. What a bitch it was the first
time I installed one of those boxes from scratch (and then learned how to compile and
build software). But, ya know, even though it may (initially) be a lot of difficult
work to configure and set one up, there's a big pay-back. Once it's done, you've got a
nearly bulletproof, rock-solid, absolutely dependable computer. My Sun boxes simply
*never* crash.

Hell, I'd be frustrated and pulling my hair, too, if I had to sit down and attempt an
install on Windows. I've never done it, so it'd be a completely new, confusing, and
seemingly idiotic procedure for me. But I'm pretty sure I'd eventually get through it.
:>

So dive in, get your hands dirty, read lots, and it'll start to make sense pretty
quickly.

Good luck. May the foo be with you. :>

/Rob