Nuno,

I noticed a similar unexplained restriction
on our Linux 2.4. We have 512 MB physical memory,
no swap partition, and for some reason I cannot
malloc more than 256 MB. The Unix errno just says
'Cannot allocate memory'.

On our other machine with 900 MB RAM and 512 MB swap
I can malloc 900 MB.

What is your my.cnf like? Is it possible that you
have allocated so much memory to PostgreSQL, MyISAM,
and other programs that the 2 GB or 3 GB you have is
almost totally used?

Regards,

Heikki

At 10:55 AM 9/10/01 +0100, you wrote:
>On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 08:47:16PM +0300, Heikki Tuuri wrote:
>> Nuno,
>>
>> what does
>>
>> ulimit -a
>>
>> say (assuming you are running on Unix)?
>> ulimit tells the limits set for the user.
>> I think there are also hard limits decided
>> at kernel compile time.
>
>core file size (blocks)  0
>data seg size (kbytes)   unlimited
>file size (blocks)       unlimited
>max memory size (kbytes) unlimited
>stack size (kbytes)      8192
>cpu time (seconds)       unlimited
>max user processes       256
>pipe size (512 bytes)    8
>open files               1024
>virtual memory (kbytes)  2105343
>
>I'm running Linux.
>

>> What does
>>
>> free
>>
>> say?
>>

>             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
>Mem:       2096720    2094180       2540          0    1073620     786400
>-/+ buffers/cache:     234160    1862560
>Swap:      1052248       3292    1048956
>

>But I'm running two SQL servers (MySQL and PostGres) and I'm running some
scripts. Apart from that, the machine is totally dedicated to SQL stuff.