On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 02:28:05PM +0300, Heikki Tuuri wrote:
> Nuno,
>
> I noticed a similar unexplained restriction
> on our Linux 2.4. We have 512 MB physical memory,
> no swap partition, and for some reason I cannot
> malloc more than 256 MB. The Unix errno just says
> 'Cannot allocate memory'.
>
> On our other machine with 900 MB RAM and 512 MB swap
> I can malloc 900 MB.
>
> What is your my.cnf like? Is it possible that you
> have allocated so much memory to PostgreSQL, MyISAM,
> and other programs that the 2 GB or 3 GB you have is
> almost totally used?

Here's my.cnf:

[mysqld]
innodb_data_file_path = data/data1:2000M;data/data2:2000M
innodb_data_home_dir = /servers/mysql/
set-variable = innodb_mirrored_log_groups=1
innodb_log_group_home_dir = /servers/mysql/data/logs/
set-variable = innodb_log_files_in_group=3
set-variable = innodb_log_file_size=50M
set-variable = innodb_log_buffer_size=20M
innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit=0
innodb_log_arch_dir = /servers/mysql/data/logs/
innodb_log_archive=0
set-variable = innodb_buffer_pool_size=50M
set-variable = innodb_additional_mem_pool_size=20M
set-variable = innodb_file_io_threads=4
set-variable = innodb_lock_wait_timeout=50
innodb_flush_method=O_DSYNC

This problem arose before the installation of PostGres. Even then I could not reserve
more than 50M for innodb_buffer_pool_size.
The only thing that is also running on the machine is a HTTP server that uses at most
60M of mem.

> At 10:55 AM 9/10/01 +0100, you wrote:
> >On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 08:47:16PM +0300, Heikki Tuuri wrote:
> >> Nuno,
> >>
> >> what does
> >>
> >> ulimit -a
> >>
> >> say (assuming you are running on Unix)?
> >> ulimit tells the limits set for the user.
> >> I think there are also hard limits decided
> >> at kernel compile time.
> >
> >core file size (blocks)  0
> >data seg size (kbytes)   unlimited
> >file size (blocks)       unlimited
> >max memory size (kbytes) unlimited
> >stack size (kbytes)      8192
> >cpu time (seconds)       unlimited
> >max user processes       256
> >pipe size (512 bytes)    8
> >open files               1024
> >virtual memory (kbytes)  2105343
> >
> >I'm running Linux.
> >

> >> What does
> >>
> >> free
> >>
> >> say?
> >>

> >             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
> >Mem:       2096720    2094180       2540          0    1073620     786400
> >-/+ buffers/cache:     234160    1862560
> >Swap:      1052248       3292    1048956
> >

> >But I'm running two SQL servers (MySQL and PostGres) and I'm running some
> scripts. Apart from that, the machine is totally dedicated to SQL stuff.
> >When installing InnoDB I should have most of the memory available.
> >

> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Heikki
> >> http://www.innodb.com

> >> my.cnf to

> >--
> >Nuno Dias <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >Novis - Dir. Rede - ISP <http://www.novis.pt/>
> >Ed. Atrium Saldanha - Pça. Dq. de Saldanha, 1, 7o / 1050 - 094 Lisboa
> >tel: +351 21 0104437 - fax: +351 21 0104301
> >

> >Brandy Davis, an outfielder and teammate of mine with the Pittsburgh Pirates,
> >is my choice for team captain.  Cincinnatti was beating us 3-1, and I led
> >off the bottom of the eighth with a walk.  The next hitter banged a hard
> >single to right field.  Feeling the wind at my back, I rounded second and
> >kept going, sliding safely into third base.
> >     With runners at first and third, and home-run hitter Ralph Kiner at
> >bat, our manager put in the fast Brandy Davis to run for the player at first.
> >Even with Kiner hitting and a change to win the game with a home run, Brandy
> >took off for second and made it.  Now we had runners at second and third.
> >     I'm standing at third, knowing I'm not going anywhere, and see Brandy
> >start to take a lead.  All of a sudden, here he comes.  He makes a great slide
> >into third, and I scream, "Brandy, where are you going?"  He looks up, and
> >shouts, "Back to second if I can make it."
> >             -- Joe Garagiola, "It's Anybody's Ball Game"

Nuno Dias <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Novis - Dir. Rede - ISP <http://www.novis.pt/>
Ed. Atrium Saldanha - Pça. Dq. de Saldanha, 1, 7o / 1050 - 094 Lisboa
tel: +351 21 0104437 - fax: +351 21 0104301

        I made it a rule to forbear all direct contradictions to the sentiments
of others, and all positive assertion of my own.  I even forbade myself the use
of every word or expression in the language that imported a fixed opinion, such
as "certainly", "undoubtedly", etc.   I adopted instead of them "I conceive",
"I apprehend", or "I imagine" a thing to be so or so; or "so it appears to me
at present".
        When another asserted something that I thought an error, I denied
myself the pleasure of contradicting him abruptly, and of showing him
immediately some absurdity in his proposition.  In answering I began by
observing that in certain cases or circumstances his opinion would be right,
but in the present case there appeared or semed to me some difference, etc.
        I soon found the advantage of this change in my manner; the
conversations I engaged in went on more pleasantly.  The modest way in which I
proposed my opinions procured them a readier reception and less contradiction.
I had less mortification when I was found to be in the wrong, and I more easily
prevailed with others to give up their mistakes and join with me when I
happened to be in the right.
                -- Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin