Hi!

Britt> Now that the patch for Gemini has been created and made
Britt> available for the new MySQL 4.0 alpha release we are
Britt> back whole again.

I wouldn't really agree with this.

Britt> I am told that binaries for the complete MySQL 4.0
Britt> with support for Gemini tables are now available via
Britt> mysql.org for everyone to use (MyISAM and InnoDB also).
Britt> These MySQL server binaries can be used as-is under the
Britt> GPL without any requirement for a commercial license
Britt> under any circumstances regardless of the specifics
Britt> of the application.

NuSphere lawyers have said that the GPL is not enforcable, but we don't
belive that this true.

Because NuSphere has violated the MySQL GPL license, NuSphere has lost
all benefits that the GPL gives, like the right to distribute the
MySQL server.  This means that every download of MySQL from mysql.org
and selling of the boxed products from NuSphere that contains MySQL is
a violation of the rights of MySQL AB.

The GPL also puts restrictions of how a commercial, not open source
product can use the code; Any open source/GPL product can use MySQL
under the GPL license. If your product that uses MySQL is not open
source and you don't want to make it open source, you can't normally
use MySQL under GPL but should get MySQL under an normal commercial
license from MySQL AB.

You can find out more about this at:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/U/s/Using_the_MySQL_server_under_a_commercial_license.html

Britt> As for as 4.0 features you can add the following to
Britt> the list:

Britt>  o Lock optimization - MySQL executor acquired
Britt>         more locks than required for common queries.

Just a note: The extra locks are only relevant for Gemini and BDB tables,
not for MyISAM or InnoDB tables.

<cut>

Britt> BTW, MySQL will be a major topic at the Linux Lunacy
Britt> Geek Cruise next week.  NuSphere is the major sponsor
Britt> for the event helping make it possible for speakers
Britt> like Richard Stallman, Eric Raymond and Monty along
Britt> with myself to further the open source revolution.
Britt> Drop me a note if you plan on being there!

Britt, it's ok to email this list that people can meet you on Linux
Lunacy.  However, If you have a commercial message that you believe is
valuable to our users, then please do as everyone else does: Email the
list maintainers and ask for permission to post.

Regards,
Monty