Hi!

First I have to apologize to the email list for this discussion: It
certainly doesn't belong here.  On the other hand, as the creator of
MySQL and one who has personally sued by NuSphere corporation I can't
let things like this go unanswered.

Britt> NuSphere is a strong believer in the GPL.  Our history
Britt> and the 150,000 lines of code we have licensed under the
Britt> GPL reinforce that fact.

Britt>   http://nusphere.com/releases/062800b.htm  - June 28, 2000
Britt>   http://nusphere.com/releases/013001.htm  - January, 30, 2001

Britt> Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like
Britt> to discuss this further.

Britt, this is not the right forum to discuss things like this.  You
can't go around the fact that NuSphere violated the MySQL GPL license
by distributing MySQL staticly linked with Gemini without giving the
users access to all the source code.  You also forbid anyone to use
this distribution without having a license from NuSphere.

On your website you even had the following explanation for this:

------
Q: Can I copy NuSphere's products freely and distribute them?

A: No, NuSphere's software products are all proprietary,
copyrighted works with licenses that limit distribution. They
cannot be freely copied. The download and CDROM versions of our
products, including NuSphere MySQL and the entire Advantage product
line, cannot be freely copied.

Q: I think all software should be completely free - why isn't
NuSphere's?

A: NuSphere believes all software cannot be completely free. We
contribute to Open Source projects that provide free versions of
their software.  Individuals who do not wish to pay to use specific
software are encouraged to join those communities.
------

NuSphere also didn't release Gemini under GPL until MySQL AB sued them
about violating the GPL license and misusing our trademark.  Releasing
Gemini under GPL doesn't however cure the GPL violation, (see
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl-faq.html).  Until all holders of any
of the violated GPL code has given NuSphere forgiveness, they have
lost all the rights that GPL gives them to the violated code.

Britt, If you want discuss this, you know how to reach me.
I am, as always, ready to discuss ways to solve our differences.

Regards,
Monty