On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 12:07:03AM +0000, Manjeet Singh wrote:
> Hi Group,
>
> I am new to mysql, and would like you all to give some time in
> resolving my trouble. I am stuck up with a problem of designing
> stores database for a big company.The company is located in
> different places and wants web-based insertion, retrival and
> maintaining of data and records in the database.

Okay...

> I am worried of the performance and speed of quering the database
> and getting displayed on the browser, as they have around 25 million
> records in the database.

25 million records isn't a lot, given modern hardware.

> I need to know:
> 1) What is the maximum storage capacity of MySQL,

It's really, really big.  I don't remember the exact number anymore,
but there has been at least once instance of a database with over 2
billion rows in it.

> 2) How will be the performance for this type of huge
> database, where web-based frontend is used and what can be
> done so has to increase the performance.

Make sure you give MySQL sufficient memory.  Make sure you data is
properly indexed.

> 3) How to speed-up the querying time, as the queryed
> results are manipluated through scripts and displayed on
> web browser.

Same as above.

> 4) How can it be tuned for a better performance.

Again, same as above.

Have a read thru this:

  http://www.linux-mag.com/2001-06/mysql_01.html

to start with.  And watch for part #2 in the December issue. :-)

> As, i am still in the planning stage with the details of my client
> as above, i have to decide on with wich database i should proceed.
>
> I would also want to know will MySQL is capable of
> withstanding the load:

Yes.

> 1) As so many users from different locations will be
> querying and getting results on web.

How many users at once?

> 2) Even they are users who will be adding data to the
> database.

Jeremy
--
Jeremy D. Zawodny, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Technical Yahoo - Yahoo Finance

MySQL 3.23.41-max: up 60 days, processed 1,316,159,175 queries (253/sec. avg)