Hi

This is not really a problem for me now, because I have my own server, and
control who has access. This is a problem on virtual hosting, because
anybody could be on there.

It seems to be standard practice for ISPs to set up php as an Apache module
and leave it to run.  I played around and could do directory listings and
all sorts. (I did it to see how secure my files were and wouldn't touch
anybody else's stuff).

I did put it to the ISP (unnamed!) who said they had never heard of it and
didn't believe it had ever been a problem.

In practice few people know about it, and you have to an account on the
server and the time and inclination to explore somebody else's (boring)
files. Beyond that it is a serious vulnerability.

I am working on some software that may be run on shared servers, so I will
look into the suexec (I am only an amateur Apache bod so thanx for that)

Peter