Arjen G. Lentz [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:

>Hi Tim,

Anyone
>could still get to it, with a bit of effort.
[clip]

I did not mean for this to be an off-topic PHP post, what I was noodling
about here was a mySQL means to provide a more secure access for
scripting languages like Perl, Python and PHP - which end up with
insecure username and password config files all over the Internet.

I don't know what this mechanism is - I'm not even sure I can think it
through at the moment - but something like checking a server variable
like http_server, or maybe even http_document_root and only allowing the
login if the script was being run from the appropriate location. Perhaps
limiting a login for a specific username only from a specific
document_root?

The problem with checking for username@localhost - which is what most
installations do, at least through phpMyAdmin on CPANEL hosts - is that
once your username and password are available, you are vulnerable from
any other shared host on the same server. Their host is also
"localhost."

Is there a way to see the value of localhost from within mySQL?

Thanks,

-Tim