I am lost.   I am a very VERY green newbie, and I am struggling on just how to
begin.   Basically, I have
bought a book, entitled, "PHP and MYSQL Web Development" . ,  I have downloaded
mysql-3.23.43.tar.gz, the
install for windows document (yes I have not even made it passed the Install!   Oh I
am PATHETIC!) says to use
Setup.exe for windows.  The problem is I can not find that file anywhere.

=Appendix A, page 793
- use the instructions for Windows and not those for *nix
1 did you download a Windows binary (not *nix, and not source)?
2 have you used WinZip or similar to extract the files to a temporary directory?

The bigger problem is, I do not know which 'platform' to enter any code in, and once
entered, how do you run it
as a web site???.
I have Windows 98 on an older computer which I am using to experiment with code.  Can
you help?.  Thanks!!!

=the questions are a little confusing.
Your platform is Win98.
To run through the material in the book, you need a 'platform' consisting of a web
server eg PWS or Apache, plus
PHP, and MySQL.

=the installation instructions are a little 'thin'. Spending some time searching the
PHP sites/boards will turn
up any number of others
- choose one that it Windows, Windows, and only Windows (duck when you say that or the
eunuchs police will get
you...)
(the explanations that purport to cover both *nix and Windows are often really
confusing, ignore them all)

=BTW: it's a good book - at least I thought so once I realised that the feminist
exclusivity of "she" also meant
me (a mere male)!
=dn