Hi Jason

On Friday 09 November 2001 00:26, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>   I am lost.   I am a very VERY green newbie, and I am struggling on just
> how to begin.   Basically, I have bought a book, entitled, "PHP and MYSQL
> Web Development" . ,  I have downloaded mysql-3.23.43.tar.gz, the install
> for windows document (yes I have not even made it passed the Install!   Oh
> I am PATHETIC!) says to use Setup.exe for windows.  The problem is I can
> not find that file anywhere.

This is a very good book indeed.  But since you confess to being an absolute
beginner (aren't we all?), I wonder whether I might point you in the
direction of a book specifically for beginners.  It is PHP Fast and Easy, by
Julie Meloni, pubished by PrimaTech.  It comes with a CD with all the stuff
on it (although probably a bit dated by now - it's been out for a year), and
detailed install instructions (everything went on first-time on Win95, once
I'd updated the winsock to v2, so Win98 should have no problems at all).
Only about 10 or 11 different types of page are covered, but they each have
step-by-step walkthroughs, and I was able to read the whole book through
without getting lost.  Once you've done that, you'll have a good basis for
going on to Welling and Thomson.

HTH

Kevin