Using 3.23.32 on FreeBsd 3.2

Have gotten a sample fulltext search going, but cannot figure out how
to shorten the word length to 2 o3 3, from the default 4.

Yes, I've read the docs, and tried the following:
Setting variable using mysqld on command line...it won't take it.

Looking at the variables - SHOW VARIABLES - it's not in there.
ft_min_word_length does not seem to even exist. Can I simply create
it somehow?

Looking for the config files mentioned in the docs...there is no
directory called myisam on my directory tree.

looking for the .cnf files...I found:
/usr/local/mysql/share/mysql/my-huge.cnf
/usr/local/mysql/share/mysql/my-large.cnf
/usr/local/mysql/share/mysql/my-medium.cnf
/usr/local/mysql/share/mysql/my-small.cnf
/usr/local/share/mysql/my-example.cnf

Since I was not the original installer of mySQL on the system, I
don't know which, if any, conf file is being used.

Can anyone offer me help pertaining to this particular distribution?

Thanks
Craig Issod             HearthNet at http://www.hearth.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    Everything your Hearth Desires